If you've been following my words, thanks a lot. I really appreciated writing Historias da Lawrence University and I definitely learned a lot. Now let me introduce you to my new blog: Rebecca Carvalho. I hope I'll see you there.

segunda-feira, 11 de janeiro de 2010

Thank You, Miep!


"It seems as if we're never far from Miep's thoughts"
(Anne Frank)

Today when I checked the news I was surprised to find out that Miep Gies passed away today, January 11, at the age of 100. Born in Vienna, Miep moved to Amsterdam, where she met Otto Frank and started working at Opekta, Otto's company.

Miep was a great friend of the Franks, and helped hide them from the Gestapo and the SS officers when her friends were threatened to be sent to concentration camps. She was one of the angels who visited them regularly in the "Secret Annex" bringing groceries; clothes; and, above all, hope in better days.

When the Franks were found hiding and were sent to Westerbork, Miep saved Anne Frank's diaries and, without reading them, kept them safe to be given back to Anne the day she returned. Anne, unfortunately, perished in Bergen-Belsen. When Otto came back to Amsterdam, the only one of his family who had survived, Miep presented Anne's diaries to him.

Thank you very much, Miep. Thank you for your generosity and unconditional love. Thank you for being this fair, kind, extraordinary human being, who broke every barrier of prejudice and saw people's hearts. God bless you, and I pray that He will keep your name fresh and strong reminding mankind that we must do our best to maintain this world a just and peaceful place.

2 comentários:

  1. Great text, Becca. The moment I read this news I immediately thought of you. I assume that part of who you are today is due to Miep's thoughts. Keep showing the world your gift!

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Thanks for the support, Ito! Miep is a great inspiration.

    ResponderExcluir