If you've been following my words, thanks a lot. I really appreciated writing Historias da Lawrence University and I definitely learned a lot. Now let me introduce you to my new blog: Rebecca Carvalho. I hope I'll see you there.

sábado, 19 de junho de 2010

Gustavo's Graduation

At Lawrence University, when it is almost time to graduate, international students get emails asking them to help with the pronunciation of their names. My dear compatriot, Gustavo, graduated last week. He told me that he actually called the provost and explained that his last name was Portuguese, therefore a little bit complicated to pronounce.


See, Gustavo's full name is Gustavo Cavalcanti Guimaraes. I also am a Cavalcanti (de Carvalho), and I know how difficult it is for them to say "Cavalcanti".


"
No, that wasn't the problem", told me Gustavo. "He pronounced 'Cavalcanti' well..." and then he smiled. He continued: "You don't know what I did... I had to do something... I was there waiting for my turn to be called and when he called me he said... 'Gustavo Cavalcanti GOSTOSO'".


Only a few people understood the joke. ("Gustavo, I didn't know your last name was pronounced like that..."). Ah, Gustavo is impossible! I don't know when I'll see him again, but I am sure he'll have a great life and I will hear a lot about his success.

Congratulations, Gustavo! We'll miss you!

P.S. "Gostoso" is common slang in Brazil meaning "hot"!


Um comentário: