If you've been following my words, thanks a lot. I really appreciated writing Historias da Lawrence University and I definitely learned a lot. Now let me introduce you to my new blog: Rebecca Carvalho. I hope I'll see you there.

sábado, 19 de junho de 2010

"Are You a Rebecca or a Becca?"


"Are you a Rebecca or a Becca?", asked me a lady who I was serving yesterday during the first dinner I was covering. To be honest I did not know exactly what to say; in the middle of a busy event somebody comes to me asking one of those philosophical questions that nobody could deeply respond: who are you? what am I? I just shrugged and said a bit uncertain "Um... Both, I guess!".

I had never stopped to think about the complexity of names and nicknames. In Brazil I usually introduce myself as Rebecca, but here in the U.S. I've found myself simply saying "I'm Becca". My mother always calls me Becca and a few friends in Brazil, but the great majority of people -- even the ones I know since I was a baby -- is more inclined to call me Rebecca. I was used to these formalities, but when I moved to Wisconsin and started studying at Lawrence it was really amusing to hear my professors simply calling me Becca.

Maybe when my life split into two and I left home this new part of me had to have a different name, and that's why today sounds weird to me to be called by my real name. When I visit Recife perhaps I'll find odd to be called Becca occasionally. I think I will have to deal with being a Rebecca and a Becca at the same time...

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário